Combination resumes are a proven format across all industries because they highlight both your key skills and employment history.
Read on to learn how to create an excellent combination resume with our templates and HR-approved tips.
Table of Contents:
- Who Should Use a Combination Resume?
- Structure of the Combination Format
- Combination Resume Templates
1. Who Should Use a Combination Resume?
Combination resumes are designed for highly-trained job seekers with work experience.
Similar to the functional resume format, a combination resume focuses on an applicant’s skills. If you’re applying to a job that requires technical skills and expertise, a combination format effectively showcases them.
Because the combination format emphasizes skills over work experience, it’s also suitable for job seekers writing a resume for a career change.
The Anatomy of a Combination Resume
Although the combination style focuses more on skills, it still leaves room to detail your work experience. However, if you want to make your work experience your main focus, then the traditional chronological resume may be better for you.
- Contact Details – Your contact details are in a prominent place so that the hiring manager can easily get in touch.
- Resume Introduction – Combination resumes are best paired with a resume profile to convey your skills.
- Experience – In a combination resume, an outline of your work experience is provided.
- Skills – Because a combination resume is used to showcase your skills, you can include more than one skills section.
- Education – Just as with chronological and functional resumes, you must include a resume education section.
2. The Structure of a Combination Resume
1. Contact Information
This section requires little explanation: include your name, phone number, email, and address.
2. Professional Profile or Qualifications Summary
A combination resume needs to begin by emphasizing your transferable skills.
Starting with a professional profile or achievement-based qualifications summary is the best way to do this. Although both types of resume introductions aim to advertise your skillset, they are structured differently.
Whereas a professional profile demonstrates your skills, a qualifications summary emphasizes what you achieved using those skills. Choose one that makes the most sense based on your work history and abilities.
3. Additional Skills
In a combination resume, the skills section comes before the experience section. As a mid- to senior-level candidate, you should have enough skills and abilities to fill both the resume introduction and skills section.
Keep this section organized by grouping similar skills. Also, if you see an opportunity to quantify (add numbers) to your skills, then you should. Quantification strengthens your resume by giving employers something concrete from which to evaluate you.
4. Professional Experience
Your experience section will look fairly similar across all resume formats. Use it to provide detailed information about your employment history – mentioning ways you contributed to a company’s bottom line.
Avoid run-of-the-mill job duties. Instead, focus on accomplishments.
Again, adding numbers wherever possible strengthens your case and proves that you can fulfill the needs of the position.
For more guidance, read our tips on how to quantify your professional experience.
The education section of a combination resume can be brief because you’re already well into your career. Include your highest degree, school name, and graduation year, and you should be set.
if you had a very strong GPA or received impressive academic honors, you can also include those. However, your key selling points reside in your skills and work history, so there’s no need to overdo it here.
3. Four Combination Resume Examples + Text Formats
You can easily tailor the following combination resume examples into your very own resume. In fact, we encourage you to do so.
Click on the images to view the gallery, or download them all for free with the push of a button. You can also scroll down to view plain text versions.
Combination Resume Example Text Versions
Copy and paste these text versions and change them to your own specifications. Note that these were written by actual professionals in their respective industries, and should (at least) help you understand how combination formats work.
Address: 4397 Las Brisas Drive, Reno, NV, 89523
- Project Execution: Implemented new menu introduction strategies, increasing customer purchases of wine by 10% on avg.
- Management: Assisted in the training of 6 new waiters, ensuring attention to detail and comprehensive understanding of restaurant methodology and practices
- Awards & Recognition: Frequently praised for excellent service on restaurant’s online rating system
- Salesmanship: Deep and broad knowledge of wines and pairings
KEY INDUSTRY SKILLS
- Familiarity with Point of Sale (POS) terminals and common restaurant equipment/machinery
- Able to memorize entire menus within a day, including ingredient combinations
- Proven ability to “upsell” alcohol, dessert, and appetizers to customers
- Bilingual – English (native) and Spanish (conversational). Able to comfortably take care of customers in either language
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Waitress, Reno, NV, 2012–present
- Memorized restaurant’s wine stock and appropriate entrée pairings, leading to daily wine sales averaging $180, fully 15% higher than the company average
- Write patron’s food orders on slips, memorize orders, and manage food resources in a 120+ seat restaurant
- Operate POS terminals to input customer orders, swipe credit cards, and enter cash amounts received
Mike’s Fancy Kitchen
Hostess & Waitress, Reno, NV, June 2010–August 2012
- Awarded “Employee of the Month” two months consecutively
- Bussed tables, presented menus, seated customers, and assisted waiters with drink orders
- Trained 3 new hosts in providing excellent customer service and conflict resolution techniques
- Problem Solving
- Strong Work Ethic
- Time Management
- Critical Thinking
- Handling Pressure
University of Nevada, Reno
Address: 47 Smith Drive, Scottsdale, AZ, 85251
A general bookkeeper with 8+ years of experience using both single-entry and double-entry systems for medium-sized businesses. Specialize in performing bookkeeping for multimillion-dollar companies. Possess expertise in numerous pieces of bookkeeping software. Identified and eliminated departmental inefficiencies to increase productivity by 15%.
- MS Office proficient
- QuickBooks expert
- Data entry skills
- Strong work ethic
- Time management
- Handling pressure
- Problem solving
Franklin & Rodgers Business Solutions, Scottsdale, AZ, September 2012–present
- Performed financial calculations such as amounts due, interest charges, balances, discounts, equity, and principal for a multimillion-dollar company.
- Accessed computerized financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts.
- Formulated, prepared, and issued bills, invoices, and account and financial statements with 10% increased efficiency to ensure timely deliverable.
- Trained 3 new administrative assistants and junior bookkeepers
- Corrected spreadsheet error saving A/P $3,500.
Administrative Assistant Bookkeeper
Patton Group, Tempe, AZ, June 2010–August 2012
- Operated computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Checked figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Operated 10-key calculators, typewriters, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
Wilhelm University, 2010
Wilhelm Accounting, 2008
American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers
Address: 47 Hawthorne Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, 42143
- Delivery driver with 5 years of experience driving trucks and commercial vans with loads up to 30,000 lbs.
- Proven Communicator: Foster relations with clients, ensuring retention and referrals.
- Safety oriented: Possess a clean driving record through my strict adherence to safety guidelines.
- Achievement: Slashed monthly maintenance costs by $300 through regular maintenance.
- Familiar with CRM systems
- Can lift at least 70 lbs
- Class B CDL (HAZMAT)
- Basic vehicle repairs
Pro Courier, Inc
Delivery Driver, Minneapolis, MN, 2016–present
- Drive trucks or vans holding up to 20,000 lbs, delivering up to 150 deliveries per day,
- Received award for having no accidents for 3 consecutive years
- Saved $7000 worth of gas costs per month by planning more efficient routes
- Received 95% in positive feedback from customers, receiving company bonus of appreciation
- Perform safety and maintenance check on vehicles, ensuring passing grade during inspections, saving over $20,000 in potential vehicle repair costs
Premium Waters, Inc
Delivery Driver, Minneapolis, MN, 2014–2016
- Ran an average of 15 routes per day to residential and business areas, providing exceptional service to clients and maintaining 92% in account retention
- Generated $40,000 in new business through referrals of existing customers, upselling products and services, and informing clients of promotional campaigns
- Rearranged routes to maximize delivery efficiencies, saving 15+ monthly hours
- Provided immediate response and on-site visits to install and troubleshoot equipment
Washburn High School, Minneapolis, MN
Diploma, May 2014
- Receptionist with 9+ years of experience managing administrative functions for office personnel
- Possess strong ability in analyzing information and providing solutions to problems
- Recognized for ability to implement processes that reduce costs, while improving efficiencies
- Achieved: Saved the company $10K in undue payments from inaccurate billings
Phone: (541) 555-1234
Address: 45 Grey Road, Eugene, OR, 97403
BS Hotel Management
Portland Community College
Portland Community College
- Type 85 WPM
- MS Office expertise
- Multiline phone system
- Problem Solving
- Team Leadership
Receptionist Certification – 2017
Certified Professional Secretary, Bureau of Labor Statistics – 2016
Financial Management – 2015
AMC Corporation, Eugene, OR
- Researched and recovered $10K in undue payments from past erroneous billings, earning an award from upper management
- Organized complex travel arrangements for 10 sales representatives, while reducing travel expenses by 40% by coordinating lower cost travel routes
- Develop reports and documents, transcribe meeting notes, and take dictation, ensuring 100% accuracy
Stern Real Estate, Eugene, OR
- Coordinated schedules, meetings, and property visits for 10 real estate agents, and provided administrative support to a total of 20 staff members
- Assisted visitors, directing them to appropriate personnel, and answered an average of 50 calls and emails daily
- Implemented new data management system that expedited data retrieval by 70%
Didn’t get the specific answers you wanted from this page? Please get in touch by visiting Resume Genius on Facebook, Twitter, or Linkedin and we’ll get back to you within the week. Good luck on the job hunt!