Table of Contents:
- Who Should Use a Combination Resume?
- The Structure of a Combination Format
- Galleries of Combination Resume Templates
1. Who Should Use a Combination Resume?
Combination resumes are designed for job seekers with some experience already under their belts.
Like the skills-based functional resume format, a combination resume focuses on the applicant’s skills and abilities.
For those applying for positions that requires technical skills and expertise, a combination format is the best format for showcasing these abilities to the hiring manager.
Because this format emphasizes skills over work experience, combination resumes are also suitable for job seekers looking to jump into a new industry.
Although the combination style focuses more on skills, it still leaves room to detail your work experience. However, if you want to make your work experience your main focus, then the traditional chronological resume may be better for you.
2. The Structure of a Combination Resume (Five Parts)
Part #1. Contact Information
This section requires little explanation: include your name, phone number, email, and address.
Also, consider adding a link to your LinkedIn profile or personal website!
Part #2. Professional Profile or Qualifications Summary
As mentioned earlier, a combination resume needs to begin by emphasizing the candidate’s transferable skills.
Starting with a skills-focused professional profile or achievement-centric qualifications summary is the best way to do this. Although both of these types of resume introduction have the same objective—to advertise your skillset—they differ in their method of delivery.
A professional profile demonstrates your skills, whereas a qualifications summary emphasizes what you achieved using those skills.
The choice comes down to preference and how you want the employer to see you.
Part #3. Additional Skills
In a combination resume, the skills section comes before the experience section. As a mid- to senior-level candidate, you should have enough skills and abilities to fill both the resume introduction and skills section.
Keep this section as organized as possible by grouping similar skills.
Also, if you see an opportunity to quantify (add numbers) to your skills, then do so!
Part #4. Professional Experience
This section is pretty straightforward across all resume formats. The goal of this section is to provide detailed bullet points explaining your professional experience.
Avoid run-of-the-mill job duties. Instead, focus on accomplishments.
Again, adding numbers wherever possible strengthens your case and proves that can fulfill the needs of the position.
For more great guidance, read our tips on how you can maximize your professional experience.
Part #5. Education
The education section of a combination resume can be brief because you are already well into your career
So, the focus of your resume should be your work experience.
Of course, if you completed any projects relevant to the job you’re applying for, then add them!
3. Four Combination Resume Examples + Text Formats
You can easily tailor the following combination resume examples to suit your circumstances.
Click on them to enlarge them or hit the big green button to download a free template pack. You can also scroll down to view the plain text versions.
Combination Resume Example Text Versions
Open these text versions, and then copy and paste them into your word processor. You can then tailor them to your own situation.
Address: 4397 Las Brisas Drive, Reno, NV, 89523
- Project Execution: Implemented new menu introduction strategies, increasing customer purchases of wine by 10% on avg.
- Management: Assisted in the training of 6 new waiters, ensuring attention to detail and comprehensive understanding of restaurant methodology and practices
- Awards & Recognition: Frequently praised for excellent service on restaurant’s online rating system
- Salesmanship: Deep and broad knowledge of wines and pairings
KEY INDUSTRY SKILLS
- Familiarity with Point of Sale (POS) terminals and common restaurant equipment/machinery
- Able to memorize entire menus within a day, including ingredient combinations
- Proven ability to “upsell” alcohol, dessert, and appetizers to customers
- Bilingual – English (native) and Spanish (conversational). Able to comfortably take care of customers in either language
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Waitress, Reno, NV, 2012–present
- Memorized restaurant’s wine stock and appropriate entrée pairings, leading to daily wine sales averaging $180, fully 15% higher than the company average
- Write patron’s food orders on slips, memorize orders, and manage food resources in a 120+ seat restaurant
- Operate POS terminals to input customer orders, swipe credit cards, and enter cash amounts received
Mike’s Fancy Kitchen
Hostess & Waitress, Reno, NV, June 2010–August 2012
- Awarded “Employee of the Month” two months consecutively
- Bussed tables, presented menus, seated customers, and assisted waiters with drink orders
- Trained 3 new hosts in providing excellent customer service and conflict resolution techniques
- Problem Solving
- Strong Work Ethic
- Time Management
- Critical Thinking
- Handling Pressure
University of Nevada, Reno
Address: 47 Smith Drive, Scottsdale, AZ, 85251
A general bookkeeper with 8+ years of experience using both single-entry and double-entry systems for medium-sized businesses. Specialize in performing bookkeeping for multimillion-dollar companies. Possess expertise in numerous pieces of bookkeeping software. Identified and eliminated departmental inefficiencies to increase productivity by 15%.
- MS Office proficient
- QuickBooks expert
- Data entry skills
- Strong work ethic
- Time management
- Handling pressure
- Problem solving
Franklin & Rodgers Business Solutions, Scottsdale, AZ, September 2012–present
- Performed financial calculations such as amounts due, interest charges, balances, discounts, equity, and principal for a multimillion-dollar company.
- Accessed computerized financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts.
- Formulated, prepared, and issued bills, invoices, and account and financial statements with 10% increased efficiency to ensure timely deliverable.
- Trained 3 new administrative assistants and junior bookkeepers
- Corrected spreadsheet error saving A/P $3,500.
Administrative Assistant Bookkeeper
Patton Group, Tempe, AZ, June 2010–August 2012
- Operated computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Checked figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Operated 10-key calculators, typewriters, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
Wilhelm University, 2010
Wilhelm Accounting, 2008
American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers
Address: 47 Hawthorne Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, 42143
- Delivery driver with 5 years of experience driving trucks and commercial vans with loads up to 30,000 lbs.
- Proven Communicator: Foster relations with clients, ensuring retention and referrals.
- Safety oriented: Possess a clean driving record through my strict adherence to safety guidelines.
- Achievement: Slashed monthly maintenance costs by $300 through regular maintenance.
- Familiar with CRM systems
- Can lift at least 70 lbs
- Class B CDL (HAZMAT)
- Basic vehicle repairs
Pro Courier, Inc
Delivery Driver, Minneapolis, MN, 2016–present
- Drive trucks or vans holding up to 20,000 lbs, delivering up to 150 deliveries per day,
- Received award for having no accidents for 3 consecutive years
- Saved $7000 worth of gas costs per month by planning more efficient routes
- Received 95% in positive feedback from customers, receiving company bonus of appreciation
- Perform safety and maintenance check on vehicles, ensuring passing grade during inspections, saving over $20,000 in potential vehicle repair costs
Premium Waters, Inc
Delivery Driver, Minneapolis, MN, 2014–2016
- Ran an average of 15 routes per day to residential and business areas, providing exceptional service to clients and maintaining 92% in account retention
- Generated $40,000 in new business through referrals of existing customers, upselling products and services, and informing clients of promotional campaigns
- Rearranged routes to maximize delivery efficiencies, saving 15+ monthly hours
- Provided immediate response and on-site visits to install and troubleshoot equipment
Washburn High School, Minneapolis, MN
Diploma, May 2014
- Receptionist with 9+ years of experience managing administrative functions for office personnel
- Possess strong ability in analyzing information and providing solutions to problems
- Recognized for ability to implement processes that reduce costs, while improving efficiencies
- Achieved: Saved the company $10K in undue payments from inaccurate billings
Phone: (541) 555-1234
Address: 45 Grey Road, Eugene, OR, 97403
BS Hotel Management
Portland Community College
Portland Community College
- Type 85 WPM
- MS Office expertise
- Multiline phone system
- Problem Solving
- Team Leadership
Receptionist Certification – 2017
Certified Professional Secretary, Bureau of Labor Statistics – 2016
Financial Management – 2015
AMC Corporation, Eugene, OR
- Researched and recovered $10K in undue payments from past erroneous billings, earning an award from upper management
- Organized complex travel arrangements for 10 sales representatives, while reducing travel expenses by 40% by coordinating lower cost travel routes
- Develop reports and documents, transcribe meeting notes, and take dictation, ensuring 100% accuracy
Stern Real Estate, Eugene, OR
- Coordinated schedules, meetings, and property visits for 10 real estate agents, and provided administrative support to a total of 20 staff members
- Assisted visitors, directing them to appropriate personnel, and answered an average of 50 calls and emails daily
- Implemented new data management system that expedited data retrieval by 70%
And if you really liked the sample, don’t forget to pin it on Pinterest!