Table of Contents
- Software Engineer: General Cover Letter Writing Tips
- Cover Letter Sample
- Cover Letter Sample (Text Version)
- Entry Level Cover Letter Sample
- Entry Level Cover Letter Sample (Text Version)
1. General Cover Letter Writing Tips for Software Engineers
When you begin to write your cover letter for a coveted position within a company that develops great products, here’s something to keep in mind:
- Resumes frame the quantitative aspects of your career (facts such as skills, accomplishments, and projects) and build them into a timeline. Please read our comprehensive guide to resume writing here.
- Cover letters, on the other hand, focus on the qualitative aspects of your career, such as the reasons why you choose certain languages and frameworks over others, professional motivations, and critical thinking abilities. Please read our comprehensive guide to cover letter writing here.
2. Software Engineer Cover Letter Example
3. Software Engineer Cover Letter Sample (text version).
Hiring Manager Name
634 Westwater Way
Austin, TX 78717
Dear Hiring Manager,
With six years of experience in full-stack web development and systems architecture, I am confident I will be an excellent fit for Haystack Search’s next Senior Software Engineer. My experience has provided me with the innovative and technical skills necessary to successfully provide your company with multifaceted technical solutions across a wide range software platforms.
I have refined my strengths through six years of experience in DevOps, where I provided solutions in database technology, programming, operating systems. The following is a snapshot of my broader technical skills:
- Agile Project Management
- Custom Web and Mobile Applications
- Database Programming
- Data Science
- Networking Devices and Tools
It would be a pleasure to learn more about Haystack’s needs, and I would welcome the chance to provide further insight into my knowledge of project management, technical abilities, personal attributes, and track record of success in building revenue generating web technologies compatible across multiple platforms, browsers, and devices.
Thank you for considering my candidacy for this position. I hope to hear from you soon to schedule an interview.
This Software Engineer cover letter is for a DevOps with six years of experience. This cover letter compliments a software engineer resume example in the hiring process. Ensure the formatting of the cover letter does not diverge widely from the resume.
Even if you already have connections at a potential company, a cover letter may help beyond the application process. A letter is a sign of respect and it makes your reference look good – it may even help build a positive reputation before you even join the team.
4. Entry Level Software Engineer Cover Letter Sample
Below are both an entry-level software engineer resume sample as well as a cover letter template to go with it. Download and modify them to match your own experiences.
5. Entry Level Software Engineer Cover Letter Sample (text version)
Dear Mr. /Mrs. /Ms. (Manager’s Name)
I am writing to apply for the position of ROLE as advertised on VACANCY LOCATION, for which I have enclosed my most up-to-date resume.
I consider myself as a highly capable Software Engineer with an array of credentials to support this statement. Complementing my diverse skill set, I have developed an excellent understanding of a wide range of programming languages and tools and have demonstrated this capability throughout my ongoing Computer Science degree from University of New South Wales, which is due to be completed in 2016.
While pursuing my education, I have been recognized for my outstanding ability to work as part of a team. It is for this reason I have participated with zeal in multiple team-oriented courses and projects and have consistently delivered finished assignments as per requirements and always within the allotted time provided.
As noted on my resume, I have also been able to utilize my diverse technical knowledge while volunteering in multiple capacities. It is with enthusiasm that I have been able to gain exposure to multiple technologies, platforms, and operating languages through the course of my perpetual quest for knowledge.
I am sure after appraisal of my resume you will see I am an individual with excellent potential in an organization such as ORGANIZATION. In addition to the skills listed, I also have an excellent work ethic, personality and tenacious attitude.
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.