Our experts found the best LaTeX cover letter templates available, including:
Our free-to-use cover letter builder can make you a cover letter in as little as 5 minutes. Just pick the template you want, and our software will format everything for you.
4 LaTeX templates for any cover letter
These are the 4 best LateX cover letter templates for all types of job applications:
1. Entry-Level LaTeX cover letter template from Overleaf
Despite its name, with Overleaf‘s Entry-Level Cover Letter Template, you can simply add an extra paragraph or a bulleted list of qualifications if you’re an experienced applicant. And here’s the template:
- a well-formatted cover letter header that makes your name and contact information stand out to the hiring manager
- a splash of color with blue subheadings and a separation line at the top that make your cover letter visually appealing
- repeated contact information in the cover letter signature so the hiring manager doesn’t have to search for it when they get to the end of your cover letter
2. Overleaf’s Deedy LaTeX cover letter template
This is the Deedy Cover Letter template:
- alternating gray and black text for your name to add some style
- an easy-to-read sans serif cover letter font
- even spacing between headers and paragraphs to create an ideal mix of white space and text
3. Long Lined LaTeX cover letter template
Here’s the Long Lined Cover Letter template:
- horizontal lines at the top and bottom of the page that draw the hiring manager’s eye to your qualifications in the middle
- extra-bold text for your name that differentiates your application from others
- balanced spacing in the margins and between paragraphs
If you use this template, left-align the date and put your contact information in the header to use the customary US business letter format.
4. Awesome Cover Letter template from Overleaf
Another beautiful Overleaf LaTeX cover letter is the Awesome Cover Letter template:
- has colorful headings that you can use to emphasize your top skills and achievements (but remember to change all the letters of the word “About” in the first header to red for consistency)
- draws the hiring manager’s eye to your contact information with resume icons
- includes a spot for the title of the position you’re applying for above the cover letter salutation, which helps the hiring manager view your qualifications in the right context
Remove the photo from this template to avoid having your application rejected because of hiring manager bias. You can replace the image with your initials or your personal logo (if you have one), or just leave that space blank and center-align your name and contact information.
4 LaTeX cover letter templates for academic CVs
1. Modern LaTeX cover letter template from Overleaf
Here’s a preview of the Modern cover letter template:
- has simple formatting with gray, bold, and italic text clearly separating each section
- offers a unique twist by placing your name and contact information in a footer
2. Plain LaTeX cover letter template
Here’s the Plain LaTeX cover letter template:
- uses plain cover letter formatting and a traditional serif font
- has a no-frills header that still stands out with bold text and centered alignment
- leaves plenty of room between the salutation and your typed name for your signature
Remember to remove the “PARAGRAPH” headings when you add your own information to this template.
3. Short Stylish LaTeX cover letter template
Here’s what the Short Stylish LaTeX cover letter template looks like:
- showcases your name in a simple yet confidently formatted header with large serif text
- offers a subtitle in the header that you can use to list your degree title
- has a “cover letter” label to differentiate your cover letter from your letters of recommendation that use similar formatting
Left-align the date and put it above the hiring manager’s contact information to follow US cover letter formatting conventions. Also, delete the “PARAGRAPH” headings, as they’re just cover letter writing instructions.
4. Carta de Motivacion
The Carta de Motivacion template is presented in Spanish, but you can easily customize it in English (like we did below) and submit it to a hiring manager in the US:
- classic serif font that’s ideal for printing
- use of italic and bold text to create a clear structure
- icons that accent your contact information
Don’t forget to left-align the date if you use this LaTeX template to apply for a job in the US.
How to use LaTeX cover letter templates
We suggest you only use a LaTeX template for your cover letter if you’re submitting a hard copy of your application to your target company. Why?
Because the coding in LaTeX templates can confuse automated applicant tracking systems (ATS) that hiring managers use to sort applications.
Also, use a matching LaTeX resume template to help the hiring manager keep your application organized.