What is a resume profile?
A resume profile is a brief three to four sentence resume introduction placed at the top of the page. It provides hiring managers with a concise summary of your background, professional skills, and accomplishments.
Unlike other resume introductions, your resume’s profile section should provide a more general overview of your qualifications and is not adjusted for each job you apply to. That makes the resume profile ideal for putting on your LinkedIn page or adding to your resume if you’re uploading it to job search sites.
Typically, a profile on your resume can be written either in paragraph form or with a short bulleted list.
Here’s an example showing the two different ways to format a resume profile:
How to write a profile for a resume
A good professional resume profile immediately grabs an employer’s attention and convinces them that you’re the ideal candidate for the job.
Here’s what to include in your profile to make it best capture how qualified you are:
1. Years of experience or education
Your first sentence should introduce who you are, your current job title, and how many years of experience you have in your field. Leading with your experience helps grab the reader’s attention by immediately proving you meet the basic requirements for the position.
If you’re a student or recent graduate writing a resume with no experience, don’t worry. Simply mention what you’re studying and any extracurricular activities, relevant coursework, or volunteer experience you have instead of focusing on your work experience, and you’ll still come off as a capable candidate.
Here’s how the first sentence of a profile on a resume might look for an experienced accountant:
In contrast, check out how the first sentence of a resume profile statement for a recent graduate might look:
2. Major accomplishments
The next couple sentences in your resume profile should highlight some of your most impressive professional accomplishments and skills. This is the most important part of your profile section, because it provides a convincing reason for why you’re suited for the position and why employers should want to hire you.
When describing accomplishments in your resume profile, be sure to include hard numbers (such as dollar amounts or percentages) to illustrate the significance of those accomplishments.
Here’s an example of what the middle section of a resume profile should look like:
3. Industry-relevant skills
In your next sentence, you should showcase any skills you have that are relevant to the position.
If you’re unsure what the best skills are to list, start by doing some research and finding out what the most valuable or in-demand job skills are for your industry.
If you’re changing careers and don’t have any relevant skills yet, consider transferable skills that might help you immediately contribute in a new position. Additionally, if you have any relevant certifications or licenses, mention them in this part of your profile.
Here’s an example of what this part of a resume profile looks like:
4. Career goals
Your final point should state your current career goal or what kind of position you’re looking for.
This part is especially important when posting your resume online or on LinkedIn, as it helps recruiters see what type of work aligns with your background and interests.
When writing this last sentence, make sure you specify whether you’re looking for an entry-level, mid-level, or managerial opportunity.
Here’s an example of a good resume profile conclusion sentence:
The candidate specifies what kind of position they’re looking for and offers the hiring manager some insight into their professional goals.
Resume profile examples
Here are five resume profile examples formatted in both paragraph and bullet format to help you get a better idea of what your own profile should look like:
Example 1: Administrative assistant resume profile
- Administrative Assistant with 6+ years of experience assembling lawless presentations, preparing facility reports, and maintaining the utmost confidentiality
- Developed new filing practices at my previous job, saving the company ~$2,500 per year in labor expenses
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Seeking a Senior Administrative Assistant position to continue my career in administration.
Example 2: Food service resume profile
Waitress with 2 years of experience delivering excellent customer service and maintaining strict food safety standards. Implemented new menu introduction strategies at my current job, increasing customer purchases of wine by 10% on average. Assisted in the training of 6 new waiters, ensuring restaurant methodology and practices. Frequently praised for excellent service and knowledge of wine pairings. Looking for a position as a waitress at French restaurants in the Bay Area.
Example 3: Janitor resume profile
- Janitor with 7+ years of experience handling the maintenances of hotels and schools
- Restored HVAC system at my previous employer, saving the hotel +$50,000 in repair costs
- Specialize in working with teams to achieve institutional efficiency goals and have proven knowledge of safety regulation
- Looking for a full-time janitor position in the Baltimore metro area
Example 4: Customer service resume profile
Customer service representative with over 4 years of experience in account administration and telephone sales. Expert at designing and implementing sales strategies. Possess excellent customer service, sales, and communication skills. Implemented a new sales strategy, cutting training expenses by 90% while increasing close ratio by 10% within a 3-month window. Seeking to leverage my customer service skills to land a position as a managing customer service representative.
Example 5: Student resume profile
- Senior computer science student at Arkansas Tech University specializing in Game Design
- Designed a multiplayer adventure game intended to encourage players to develop collaboration and problem solving skills while unraveling a mystery. The game currently has a rating of 4.8/5 stars
- Skilled in storytelling and proficient in 3Ds Max, Blender and Unreal Engine
- Looking for an internship to continue developing my skills and begin my career as a Game Designer