Here’s what you write in a cover letter:
- Basic information: include your name, contact information, and the date at the top of the page.
- The recipient’s information: write the hiring manager’s name and address underneath your contact information. If you don’t have the hiring manager’s name, simply write the name of the company.
- A strong intro paragraph: open with an introduction that summarizes who you are, the position you’re applying for, how you found it, and then provides a brief overview of your qualifications.
- A second paragraph: provide detail about your background, including your primary skills and experience.
- A third paragraph: provide further detail about your background, either focusing on a specific achievement or another job.
- A closing paragraph: restate why you’re qualified for the position, and encourage the reader to contact you.